05 February 2006

Brokeback Mountain

So we went to see the gay cowboy movie last night. It was pretty good. I read Annie Proulx's novella five or six years ago, and it didn't make much impression on me. As a result, this was one of the rare occasions where I've enjoyed the film more than the book. That may be because the film seemed more soft-focus and romantic than I remember the book being.

Quite a sad story. One of the things that struck me was how these two men had absolutely no language to speak about what was happening. So when things got difficult, they'd end up doing things like punching each other, instead of talking about how they felt. It's when I see things like that, that I reckon men may well be an alien species. ;-)

Anyway, I'm sure this film will drive all before it at the Oscars this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer. Marc Dalesandro...played Reach For The Top against you wayyy back when. Remember the Sydney Academy team that beat you guys ONCE at the Holy Angels tourney? Ha ha!

Love your music and book faves. New Wave rules.

marc.dalesandro@gmail.com