14 May 2006

Weekend

My mother came down from CB for the weekend, which was very nice. She arrived Friday at lunchtime, and we saw her off at lunchtime today.

Got in some shopping and strolling, and a good pre-Mother's Day evening out last night. We all went off to Deco for dinner, then to the Neptune for the last show of the year, Evita. It was pretty well-done, though not the best Neptune musical I've seen. The actress playing Evita was excellent, I thought. I wasn't so sure about the rest of the cast, though, and the set seemed a bit cramped. The Neptune usually does a superb job of scaling down enormous musical sets to fit their modest stage, but weren't quite as successful this time.

Still, we all enjoyed it. A bit nostalgic for me as well, as Evita was the first musical I ever saw. My grandmother took me to see it at the O'Keefe Centre in Toronto when I was ten. Afterwards, we went to (of all places) Honest Ed's where I bought the soundtrack on vinyl. I still have it - really must get myself a working turntable one of these days.

No comments: