25 May 2007

The Queen

Feeling not too bad today. Spent yesterday in jammies, icing my jaws, taking industrial-strength ibuprofen, and not doing too much. Feeling OK so far this morning - though the doctor said people often feel worse on the second and third days after surgery. So, fingers crossed.

Last night I watched The Queen on DVD. I missed it at the cinema this winter because I was so busy with teaching, but was anxious to see it.
It was very odd, reliving that whole week via the film. I was studying in England at the time, and remember looking at all those newspapers, with the headlines becoming more incredulous every day. I also went up to London the day before Diana's funeral, to join the crowds at Kensington Palace. It's something I'll never forget.

The film was really very good - Helen Mirren was outstanding, of course, but so was the rest of the cast. Though I still find it odd that it was directed by Stephen Frears - how does the man responsible for arty lefty 1980s dramas like My Beautiful Launderette and Sammy and Rosie Get Laid end up making a film like The Queen, which is ultimately so supportive of the Establishment? Kinda weird.

The funniest thing about The Queen was the DVD case. The rental company has now taken to printing these sanctimonious "Parental Guides" on the backs of cases. In the case of The Queen, the assessment was as follows:

Alcohol/Drugs: scenes of drinking

Nudity/Sexuality: bare-breasted statues

Violence: minimal

Objectionable Language: 1 (including one "naughty" British term)


Statues?!? "Naughty" British terms?!?!??!?!? bwahahahahah

(As far as I can tell, the naughty term was "bugger", by the way.)

No comments: