16 April 2008

Hitting the Gym

After several months of consideration, I have decided to join a gym. It's quite a big step for me, as I've always maintained that I hate gyms. That said, my only real experience of them was the athletic centre of one of the universities here in Halifax. I used to go there semi-regularly as an undergraduate, to do step aerobics (which should tell you how long ago that was - how hopelessly passé). I never liked the damp, smelly locker rooms, nor the fieldhouse itself, not least because it had no private spaces for fitness classes. The facility had an elevated running track around its entire perimeter, which led to the not-very-nice experience of being watched, while one exercised, by men who were running laps around the track. Some were surreptitious in their glances as they went by, but others were quite blatant oglers, who would stop running, lean against the track railing with big grins on their faces, and enjoy the sight of all us ladies aerobicising.

So since that time, I've always avoided gyms, preferring to use exercise videos/DVDs at home instead. But exercise trends and venues change. Last year, I noted with interest that a women-only gym,
GoodLife, had opened on the upper level of our local grocery store (?!). I liked the idea of an all-female facility, plus I've recently started weight training and I thought I might progress to using some professional weight equipment. Then two months ago, GoodLife dropped a leaflet through my letterbox, offering a two-week trial for $20. I decided to give that a go...and was quite surprised and impressed by what I found. It's a very well-kept facility, with nice change rooms, a good selection of equipment, and a full schedule of group fitness classes as well. I had an induction to the weight-machines circuit, and also learned how to use the treadmills and elliptical trainers. Finally, I tried three group classes - one cardio class with weights (which was very good but left my muscles in a world of pain for three days after), one cardio-dance class (who'dve thought I'd ever do The Robot in public?!), and one yoga/pilates/Tai Chi-hybrid class (in which I totally kicked ass...heh).

So, I've decided to give the gym thing a fresh start. A few weeks ago I met a woman who wanted out of her annual subscription, so I have taken over for the last five months of her membership (to the end of September). By then, I'll definitely know if I'll get good use out of it, and if gyms are really for me after all.

No comments: